Welcome back to another season of curling to all of our returning curlers and a warm welcome to our new members. They are Marissa, Matt and Alyssa.
The season runs every Friday night from November 2nd to March 8th inclusive with the following exceptions.
- Dec 21st Friday night curling replaced by Thursday night curling Dec 20th;
- Dec 28th Friday night- no curling; and,
- Feb 15th Friday night curling replaced by Thursday night curling Feb 14th.
Please note that all game start times are 7:15PM regardless of the evening
As the new season is about to begin, here are the important dates:
- October 27th (Saturday) Sportsplex Open House 11:00AM to 1:00PM: Hosted by the Club and Briargreen while the Sportsplex is providing the ice. This is a drop-in and it is a great opportunity for anyone who may be interested in curling and who would like to try out it. The basic rules and skills will be covered during this time.
- November 1st (Thursday) Club Instruction Night 7:15PM to 9:15PM: This is hosted by the Club and we have reserved two sheets of ice and one instructor for one hour. This session will be more in-depth coverage than the Open House and all new curlers or current members who would like a refresher are encouraged to attend. Anyone who would like to attend is requested to advise as soon as convenient to ensure that we have sufficient members to assist in the instruction.
- November 2nd (Friday night) Start of the season 7:15PM to 9:15PM: Waiver & Information Form and Payment ($170.) given to our Treasurer, Karen Tippett. Teams and schedule to be provided at a later date.
- November 2nd (Friday night) Meet and Greet: Immediately following the first game and will be in the back room of the Spectators Lounge Bar & Grill. Food will be provided by a new caterer- Tulips and Maple.
- November 9th (Friday night) AGM: Immediately following the curling.
- December 20th (Thursday night) Christmas Party: Immediately following the curling. Location and format to be determined.
- January 11th (Friday night) Start of the Second Half of the Season: New teams with a new schedule.
- January ( Saturday date TBD): Bonspiel Challenge with Briargreen.
- February 14th (Thursday night) Valentine’s Party: Location to be determined.
- March 8th (Friday night) Last game of the season.
- TBD- Year-End Banquet.
As most of you know, I requested input from the membership in regards to adding two extra nights of curling to replace two Friday nights of curling which were not available due to scheduled maintenance. These extra dates are the Thursday nights preceding these Friday nights. While a few of you have conflicts with the Thursday dates, the rest preferred the additional nights. As a result, we will have an eighteen game season with a balanced schedule.
We should have forty curlers and possibly even a waiting list if all goes well with the Open House. This will give us ten complete teams which will hopefully make our Spares Captain’s job a little easier! The Club introduced, as suggested by Nick Alderman, a software to better track absences in order that spares can be recruited to complete the teams. This software is HappyTC and more instruction on how to use this will be provided shortly. It is important that all regular members record their absences as early as possible. While last minute cancellations is a fact of life, it is always better to provide as much lead time as possible.
Just as a reminder to our members, please check out the Nepean 9th-Enders Curling Club’s website for additional information. Schedules and standings will also be posted there at a later date.
In other news, the Sportsplex has replaced all of the carpeting in the curling rink so there will be no more loose fibres transferred to the ice. Also, as some may have noticed, part of the ceiling was dangling and debris was falling from the ceiling. This will be repaired by the Sportsplex before the start of the season. I am also glad to report that the trophy from the Bonspiel Challenge has been rescued from the ashes and is currently in my possession. Hopefully, It will remain here after next year’s challenge!
Yours in curling,
Our mission is to have fun on and off the ice. We offer an opportunity to curl without judgment; encouraging first time and experienced curlers to play and grow together. All are welcome.
Curling Rocks! Have fun with us! Be Safe!